Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Choice for Public Space Analysis

My choice for our essay is to study Central Market. I think my decision comes from the fact that I was just there Sunday evening buying groceries for a program I had Monday morning so it was the first thing that popped into my head during class. Besides that I really enjoy the atmosphere there, I just think it is a really cool place to shop for food, especially healthy food that you will definitely not find at Wal-Mart, which is where I am used to shopping . My hope is to go there Thursday night around 8:30 (after The Office and because my night class is canceled) and again on Sunday afternoon. I already expect to see very different crowds on Thursday and Sunday. I think I will find a more adult/ family crowd on Sunday, while on Thursday I will still find adults, but younger, probably coming from work to pick up a few items for dinner or a date.

I know when I do go, I can't bring any money and I need to eat before because I will be really tempted to buy something :)

2 comments:

  1. Kanika, I agree that Central Market is a very interesting place to study. The crowds are certainly different between the weekend afternoons and weeknights, so I wonder how the rhetorical strategies might differ based on those audiences. As I mentioned on Natalie's blog (who is also studying CM), if the topic begins to feel too large or overwhelming, you might narrow to a specific section of the store for your analysis. Good work on the proposal. I look forward to hearing what you discover. And good luck with going to CM without making a purchase; I don't know if I have the willpower to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. kanika..i love central market as well. You could also give arguments on the types of items being sold there. I suggest you take like $ 4 because the gelato there is great if you havent tried it. I agree with your audiences because when i went on a sunday it was alot of families, unlike when i went on a wednesday alot of young people. great blog.

    ReplyDelete