Monday, January 12, 2009

Howdy to all,

First things first, my name is Kanika. I am from Grand Prairie, TX, but my family is from Jamaica. I am a sophomore and an RA in TBPW. I just changed my major again so now I am a Spanish and Sociology double major with a Religion minor. I enjoy long walks on the beach (just kidding, I haven't been to the beach in years), but I spend an obscene amount of time watching The Office, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I am a HUGE TV addict and my life long goal is to fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and maybe French.

I did initially sign up for this class because it is required, but I figured that since I am spending money on coming to this university I might as well improve my writing skills and my ability to articulate certain issues that I feel strongly about while I am in this class. Honestly, I have never been a fan of English, but I certainly hope to finish this semester with a stronger ability to write better and more confidently. As I stated above, I disdain writing, therefore I shy away from it as much as possible, but in turn I have 3 close friends that are English majors who constantly talk about how they must write at least once a week in order to relieve stress (I don't get it). Most of my writing consists of occasionally texting and replying to facebook comments and writing notes and reminders for myself because I am extremely forgetful. My writing inside the classroom mostly concentrates on the analysis of sociological themes and concepts, which for the most part is not that bad. I never enjoy writing assignments, but oddly enough I do pretty well on them. When it comes down to it, I don't enjoy writing because it is so time consuming and I don't feel confident about the way I express myself in my papers. Hopefully this will change by May.

In response to which community I belong to most obviously, I am apart of the TCU community, but more specifically the RA and TBPW community as well. Outside of Fort Worth and from a state-wide perspective, I am apart of the Jamaican community living in Texas and in the U.S. These aspects of my life that I identify with show my interests, my heritage, and they reflect my personality. Because I look favorably upon being a TCU student, a Jamaican, and an RA among several other things, that in turn effects how I portray these parts of my life to the people I meet. For instance, if I was ashamed that I am a TCU student, for one, I would not continue to study here or give them my money. Since I am proud of these things that I identify myself as people know that these things are important to me.

Finally, I feel that my blog is not entirely an argument. In the introduction, I neither try to argue or persuade my audience of anything. According to the author's criteria for an argument to inform, I informed my audience that although writing is difficult and tedious, it is far better to overcome those obstacles because of the monetary price tag TCU attaches to it and English's overall utility in the "real world".

In closing, I Kanika promise to collaborate on all projects be punctual, diligent, and respectful of the learning environment, and everyone in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment